Clinton County Historical Society County Timeline

Clinton County Indiana

 

Washington Territory was divided in 1830, and Clinton County was formed.

Governor Dewitt Clinton of New York State was known for building canals, and an Act of Congress in 1828 established the construction of the Wabash and Erie Canal.

Clinton County lies just north and west of the geographical center of the State.

In 1829, John Pence came and settled on Section 10, this tract became Frankfort

1830 The County Seat was located at Jefferson and backed by Abner Baker, and others, the location of Frankfort was backed by the Pence Brother.

John Pence gave the land and money for Frankfort to be the County Seat.   Frankfort  was surveyed and laid out on May 9th, 1830, the donation of 60 acres of land and  $100.00, made John Pence the proprietor of the town.

The census of 1830 showed 1,423 people in Clinton County

Frankfort’s name was chosen because the great grand parents of the Pence brothers were from Frankfurt-au-der-Main, Germany.

The first religious meeting in the township was held in the cabin of Mathew Bunnell in 1829, by the Presbyterians.

In 1830, Methodist meetings were held at the cabin of John Douglas,

The first church was built in 1832-33 by the Methodist at Wabash and Main Street.

Previous to March 1872, what was known, as Center Township was a in Jackson Township.

Rapid growth of Clinton County in 1831 and townships began to organize.

 Clinton County townships established

15 May 1830 –  Jackson  – Ross –  Washington

March  1831  –   Michigan

September 1834 –  Perry – Warren

March 1837  –  Kirklin         1938  –  Madison

1841  –   Honey Creek – Sugar Creek

1859 – Howard (Old Honey Creek)

1843  –  Johnson –  Owen

1872  –  Center

1882  –   Forest – Union

First state road laid out through Clinton County was the New Castle and Lafayette road which passed from Henry County through Strawtown (near Noblesville)

Roads extended from Crawfordsville through Frankfort to Fort Wayne; from Kirk’s Crossing (Kirklin) to Delphi.

1838 a road from Muncie to Lafayette went through the center of Frankfort.

Frankfort was chosen as a division point for four railroads because of its geographical location, and had a roundhouse before 1885.